Category Archives: Halal Guide
Edit: I forgot to mention Halal@Saigon. I will do a review of this restaurant later.
In 2011, I created one of the first halal travel sites for Vietnam under the name GoHalalPlanet. I visited over 35 restaurants that identified themselves as being halal. Most of my original reviews for these restaurants were posted here at SaigonNezumi. Since SaigonNezumi gets many visitors searching for halal restaurants in Saigon, I decided to come up with a Top 10 list of what SaigonNezumi felt were the best halal restaurants in Saigon in 2011.
A note for Muslim budget travelers, it is possible to have three full halal meals (with drinks) for under $5 US per day. Just visit Pho Muslim (only mornings and evenings), Kedai Zai Dah (only mornings) and Sara Halal Food (only evenings) restaurants.
Please feel free to comment.
All links for the restaurants will direct to the GoHalalPlanet page for Saigon where you can find the addresses and halal information.
2011 Top 10 Halal Restaurants in Saigon (SaigonNezumi)
- Berru Turkish Coffee & Restaurant – Best Halal Turkish Restaurant
- Opened in November, 2011, it is the first Turkish family run authentic halal Turkish restaurant in Vietnam located in the An Phu Ward.
- One of the few fully halal restaurants in Saigon (no alcohol is served).
- Doner kebab is served after 6:30 PM daily.
- Highly recommend you try Iskender, my favorite Turkish dish.
- They will offer Baklava soon.
- My all-time favorite halal Indian restaurant in Saigon located in the Backpacker area (Pham Ngu Lao).
- Co-owner, Robin, offers the best customer service in town. He is supported by Expats, Vietnamese and the local Muslim community.
- Baba’s Kitchen caters for many of the Foreign Consulates in Saigon, including the Malaysian General Consulate. It is the busiest halal restaurant in town.
- Baba’s Kitchen is ranked the 3rd best restaurant in HCMC according to Trip Advisor. This restaurant is always packed in the evenings.
- Highly recommend the Northern Thali, my favorite from Baba’s. Butter chicken is another one of my favorites. (more…)
Edit 1: new address -> Sc3-1 My Khang, Nguyen Luong Bang, District 7, HCMC
Finally, Vietnam’s first authentic halal Turkish restaurant has opened up in Saigon’s District 2. Berru Turkish Coffee & Restaurant is run by the Turkish chef from the Horizon International Bilingual School, where I worked at IT Director last year, and his family. If you love kebabs, Turkish meatballs or just want some strong Turkish coffee, then come visit Berru in An Phu.
Mr. Cem, the owner and chef from Berru, invited me over today to visit his restaurant. It was actually open for a month and already caters to the An Phu Turkish community plus some Expats from Thao Dien. I was a bit surprised when I pulled up to the front entrance, it looks and feels like a Turkish restaurant I visited in Istanbul.
First of all, this restaurant is halal, you will not find any alcohol here. The halal meat comes from the Chau Doc Muslim community (beef) and District 7/8 Muslim community (chicken). All of the ingredients and food items at Berru are halal. This is something you will not see at the “certified” halal restaurants in Saigon.
Before ordering, I started out with a strong Turkish Coffee. As usual, this cup of Turkish coffee (more…)
I forgot I had this video online. I was on STV’s Yeni Hayatlar back in 2001 which was broadcasted in the Turkish speaking world for a couple years. I wrote about this experience about 3 years ago in this blog. In short, the video is about how I became a Muslim in Kazakhstan back in […]
This is another one of my favorite halal Malaysian restaurants in the city. D’Nyonya Penang Restaurant offers authentic Penang Malaysian cuisine that I am sure most of you will like. Prices are very good. Several of the dishes are my favorite there. Be forewarned, normally at lunch and dinnertime, you will see a bus full […]
For the last month, I have started to follow a more strict halal diet. I am up to about 90% these days, I had a cheeseburger today, but hope to hit 100% by the end of the year. Since I started GoHalalPlanet.com, I was surprised at the amount of halal restaurants in Saigon alone. One […]