Well, finally, the endless marathon of giving gifts and flowers to girls will end on Sunday. March 8th is International Women’s Day which is observed in Vietnam. On this day, guys must give their girlfriends and/or wives flowers and a nice card. Some guys will even take their girlfriend and/or wife out to a good dinner. It can be a romantic occasion.
If you are a guy and you forget this day, umm, you will be in big trouble. Especially if you have a girlfriend or are married. For that matter, if you miss the other significant days for girls here, you can get into big trouble.
I mentioned in the first paragraph about the marathon of gifts and flowers. It is quite true. Gift and flower giving starts in December and ends in March. During those 4 months, you have five occassions where you must give flowers and/or gifts. They include:
- Christmas (December 24/25th) – Must give a gift and dinner
- New Year’s Eve (December 31st) – Must give a gift and dinner
- Tet Lunar New Year – Must give a gift and lucky money
- Valentine’s Day (February 14) – Must give flowers , chocolate, and dinner
- Women’s Day (March 8th) – Must give flowers and dinner
There are two other occasions where you will have to give flowers and/or a gift to your girlfriend and/or wife:
- Birthday – Must give flowers, card, gift, and pay for their birthday party
- Vietnam Women’s Day (October 20th) – Just flowers are ok on this day
What about the guys? What days are they able to get gifts? Sometimes on their birthdays, and sometimes on Christmas. Not fair, eh?
It is good to be a Girl in Vietnam 🙂
Happy Women’s Day to all the ladies in Vietnam and around the World!