Linux runs my life :-)

So I use Linux for most aspects of my tech life.  I only run Windows at school or work but nearly 99% of the time I am running Linux.

Yes, I can listen to music, watch DVDs, and edit Word documents in Linux.  Most of my colleagues and students do not even now that the documents I send them were edited with an open source word processor.

The only thing I cannot do is play my favorite games in Linux.  That will change in a couple years though as Linux starts to take a chunk out of the market :-)

Here are my current Linux systems:

1. Desktop – Arch Linux
  2. IBM Thinkpad T60 Laptop – Sidux Linux
  3. Acer Aspire ONE Netbook – Ubuntu EEE
  4. Dell Inspiron 8100 Notebook – CentOS
  5. T-Mobile G1Android
  6. Motorola Rokr e6MontaVista
  7. Nokia N800 Internet Tablet – Maemo

My Dell Inspiron 8100 and Motorola Rokr are currently working at the moment.  I need to replace the power supply unit on my Dell.  This will be the third replacement.  I dropped my Motorola phone a couple weeks ago.  It bounced a couple times.

Both units will be running by the end of the month.

So how about you?  What do you run Linux, or BSD (that means you Mac guys), on?

Comments

1. David Sterry says

Hey Saigonnezumi,

Linux is close to helping me run my life. I run it on multiple servers and desktops in and out of the home. I still have XP and support all kinds of Windows users but hopefully all that will change for the better over time. I’m trying to get GNU/Linux out there to more people and have even started a podcast at http://trygnulinux.com Stop by and check it out if you have a chance.

Above all, keep writing about free software!

Thanks,

David Sterry

• SaigonNezumi (Kevin) says

Thanks for telling you commented to my post. It got listed as spam so I got it in time.

I will ask a friend to help me do some podcasts. Normally I am too short on time to write much about FOSS but I know I should find the time.

Thx for the comments…

2. TinhTruong says

Here is my Linux systems:
    1. Desktop – ArchLinux
    2. HP Pavalion dv5000 – ArchLinux
    3. Dell PowerEdge 440 – CentOS 5.x
    4. Dell PowerEdge 430 – Fedora 7 (a little out of date)
    Maybe I’m a little luckier than you, because I can play my favourite game on Linux years ago, it’s Counter Strike 1.6 :P

3. pclouds says

Desktop – Gentoo
    Del Inspiron 640m – Gentoo
    At work I usually dual-install Gentoo, or coLinux/Gentoo if I don’t have admin access.

Maybe I should install iPodLinux on my iPod too :-)

4. Tracy Reed says

My devices which run Linux:

OLPC XO laptop
    Asus EEE laptop
    Sony Vaio laptop
    WRT54G-L wireless router
    OpenMoko mobile phone
    Snom 300 desk phone
    Snom 320 desk phone
    DVR in the livingroom
    Motorola Z9 mobile phone
    My desktop computer

And I may still be forgetting something…

5. Janoš Guljaš says

Desktop – Debian Sid

Listen music, watch films, edit digital photographs, web develop and design, web and database server for projects in development, numerical and analitical computations, document editing…

6. Clarious says

My systems:

Laptop: Arch Linux
    Desktop: Ubuntu 8.10
    My last phone used BSD (I have lost it :( )

I still have to keep a copy of Vista basic so I can run a (pirated) copy of AutoCAD (or I will get kicked out of the university :P)

7. Clarious says

@SaigonNezume: Yeah, got stolen in my university (again…) I guess I have no luck with cell phone, so I won’t buy another one. Well, at least I have greater freedom :P

8. Hieu says

Wow that’s hell of a list.
    This website is also hosted in Linux? That might be another “Linux” for you.

When Adobe Suite can runs on Linux, then I might think about living Windows. Mac is kinda expensive…

9. Vikas says

Hey,

I use Ubuntu 8.04 and interestingly I own a MOTOROKR E6 too :)
    It’s nice to show-off a linux phone :)

By the way, have you ever tried connecting to your phone through
    telnet/ssh ?

-Vikas

10. Vikas says

Hi Kevin,

After wading through a lot of forum postings on motorolafans.com, I was able to get ssh working today at last! I’m blogging about it right now.
    I’ll update the link here.

-Vikas